What is sync?
Short for synchronization. To sync means to share and update content between two devices.
- Let us say you have created a document in your laptop.
- Later you want to make some changes to the same document from your mobile phone.
- From your laptop connect to your account in an online storage space, like Dropbox.
- Upload the document in your laptop to the online storage.
- From the mobile phone connect to the online storage and download the document.
- Work on the document to your heart’s content, then upload the same document to the online storage again.
- When you return to your laptop, you can download the latest version of the document.
- Now the two devices, the laptop and the mobile phone, are said to be in sync.
A cloud sharing utility like Dropbox allows you to sync documents between two Internet enabled devices. Click on the cloud tag to see related posts.
What you need:
- An account with a cloud service like Dropbox or Skydrive.
- Internet connection to access it from your device.
Note: Be careful when you update the content between devices; you may overwrite current content with the older version.