What is a router?
A router is a network device used to connect two or more devices into a network.
- Let us say you created a document on your desktop.
- Now you want to access that document from your laptop.
- You will first need to buy a network router and a LAN cable.
- Connect your desktop and laptop to the router using the cable.
- Configure the two systems with an IP address, also called LAN address (here you will need expert advice).
- When properly configured, you will be able to see the shared folders of one system in the other.
- A shared folder allows you to copy files from one device to the other.
What you need:
- A network router
- LAN cables
- Devices that accept LAN cable connection
- Router configuration
- A network expert or advisor.
Note: A wireless router combines both cable and wireless connections. In order to use the wireless feature of a wireless router, the devices must be capable of wireless connectivity. See WiFi post in this blog.