What is an Access Point?
A wireless router that connects a mobile device to a local area network. A Wi-Fi router at home connected to the internet may serve as an access point for your mobile phone.
- Let us say you want to access Internet from your mobile phone.
- You have a wireless router at home that is connected to the Internet.
- You scan for a wireless network a.k.a. WLAN from your mobile.
- When a WLAN is discovered you set it up as an Access Point.
- Whenever you want to surf the web, the mobile phone remembers and connects through the Access Point.
What you need:
- A mobile device that is Wi-Fi enabled
- A Wi-Fi hotspot or a WLAN node from a wireless router
- Tether the two devices
Note: A Bluetooth device may also provide an Access Point.