What is a podcast?
Podcast is a downloadable audio content such as a lecture or a piece of music. A free or paid subscription is required depending on the content distributor.
- Let us say you want to listen to a series of lectures from the Open University.
- You subscribe to the lectures from their website from your device.
- Subscription allows you to download and play the content on your device.
- You may setup alerts if available for notifications of updates to the content.
- You may also receive the digital feeds automatically whenever there is new content available.
What you need:
An Internet connection
A device that is capable of playing audio content
A subscription with a content provider
Note: Podcast is made up from pod as in iPod and cast as in broadcast. It is a non-text RSS feed. A video content similarly distributed is called a video podcast.